In class today, I introduced the newest features on this page and then we learned about possessive pronouns. Here are the notes:
4.4 Possessive Pronouns
-You often use personal pronouns to replace nouns that are subjects or objects in sentences. You can use pronouns in place of possessive nouns too.
-A possessive pronoun is a pronoun that shows who or what has something. It takes the place of a possessive noun.
Ex. Lisa’s class is performing a play. Her class is performing a play.
Ex. This idea was Lisa’s. The idea was hers.
-Possessive pronouns are not written with apostrophes.Don’t confuse the possessive pronoun its with the word it’s. It’s is a contraction, or shortened form, of it is or it has.
Ex. Its popularity is growing. (possessive pronoun)
Ex. It’s popular with many students. (contraction of it is)
Ex. It’s succeeded on the stage. (contraction of it has)
After that we did numbers one through ten on page 128 in the grammar book and went over them. Then we checked our answers on the haiku and limerick poetry and added to our notes.Please feel free to post your journal responses on the haiku and limerick poems on the comments below, and respond the following question:
Is "Concrete Cat" a work of art, a poem, or both? Explain.See you tomorrow!
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

30 comments:
I think that the peom the concrete cat is a peom and a work of art because it is shaped like a cat and is considered a peom. If it was my chocie I would say that a concrete peom is really a peom. I like how it isn't just the cat it is also the litter box, the dish, and the dead mouse.
Well, I think Concrete cat is a poem, but it's more of a work of art. I mean, i think it's more creative then poetic.
I agree with sarah and hillary.
Concrete cat is a poem and also a work of art too.
I liked this poem alot!!!!
-steph
LOL. I think that it is both because it is a poem in the shape of a cat. I liked this poem - it was funny. I like d the upside down mouse.
Mary Kate :]
Hey-
I think that the poem concrete cat is a work of art and a poem...both! I think this because it might not ryhm but it could still be considered a poem. I think it is a work of art because it is in the shape of a cat. That is very creative!
Here are my journal responses for the limerick poem and the haukiu:
I thought that the two limerick poems were funny. I especially like the poem with the fly and the flea. I like that poem because when you start to read it really fast you tend to mess up, then you start laughing because of that. The young fellow named Hall, was sort of funny…although I didn’t think it was hilarious though! The haiku poems I didn’t really like. I don’t like those kind of peaceful poems. I like the poems that make you laugh. These were very boring for me. Basho was talking about a old silent pond and how a frog jumps into the pond, and then it go silent again! What?! That absolutely isn’t peaceful to me! MusoSoseki was very boring, It talks about a forest in winter and how there are no leaves…I think that I already knew there would be no leaves in the winter. I don’t really like putting much thought into the poems that I read, unless they are funny or more realistic. I guess I’m trying to say I like the longer, more description.
Bye!
I think the poem "The Concrete Cat" was cool because the author had made a good poem with the shape of a cat. I thought it was sort of weird how the word "mouse" was upside down, but then i figured that the cat had killed it :(. I really liked this poem, and it was very creative. :)
Hi People,
I think that the the Concrete Cat is a poem. I loved how it is a is the shape fo a cat. I thought it was funny how it wash shaped in the form of a cat and ahd everything such as the paw, litterbox, whisker, etc. I loved how it had the "dead mouse." All in all this was a pretty good poem.
*Delaney*
I think Concrete Cat was a work of art because the words were placed in a way to make a cat. This was not a poem in my opinion because it was just a bunch of words that had to do with a cat and described a cat.
See ya,
Sasha
I think that the "Concrete Cat" is justa work of art ebecause the words that were making up the cat made no sense what so ever. It might supposed to be a poem, but I personally think that for something to be a poem, it must make sense, or have some meaning to it.
Hey Guys,
I think that the concrete cat is a work of art and it is a poem. Because it is in the form of something and it is telling a poem at the same time. I agree with Sarah. I think that it is more of a work of art. They just say things like, "wisker, tai, ear" It isn't really a peom. But it could be considered one.
XOXO,
*Molly*
Hi-
I totally agree with Chloe! I didn't understand the mouse thing either! (lol) Know I understand!
-Megan
The concrete poem is both a work of art and a poem because. It is a poem because it is in the shape of a cat and poem are like that. It is a work of art because it was probably hard to write a poem in the shape of a cat and it look exaxtly like a cat.
Love
Taylor <3
I think that the Concrete cat is a really cool poem. I like the format of it and the poem itself. I dont really like cats but i liked this poem. I think that all poem should look like this because it is cool.
tootles,
Cristian
i think that concrete cat is both. it is a piece of art because the poem is shaped like a cat. and it si a poem because it is considered a poem as well
I think That "Concrete Cat" is both a work of art and a poem. I think it is a work of art because of the way the letters are made into shapes and things, and that makes it unique.
I think it is a poem also because it is considered Concrete Poetry which is a type of poem that is in a shape that suggests its subject.
I think that sarah is right about the concrete cat peom is more creative than poetic.
I think that this poem was neither to tell you the truth. But I guess it would be mostly a work of art because poems that are confusing to read, I THINK should be a poem (dumb reason though But this poem just had alot of the same words repeatadly. But the fact that it had ya, the litter box, dish, and I especially liked the dead mouse (Te He) lol
~D.E.V.O.N~
I think the poem "Concrete Cat" was both a poem and a work of art, because that's what a concrete poem is. It's when the poet arranges the letters, punctuation, and lines to create a picture or image of the poem's subject. I think all concrete poems are works of art.
By the way...I liked the poem. =)
-alex
I think concrete cat is a work of art, because none of the words ryme, it doesn't tell a story, and it isn't a song. The concrete poem is just words in the chape of a cat, and tells the body parts of the cat. I think that Sarah is right, about that concrete poems, like concrete cat, are very creative.
I think that the poem Concrete cat is a work of art but not a poem. I think Concrete cat is not a poem because it does not tell a story and it does not make you think. I think the poet who wrote this was trying to be more creative than trying to write a poem. I agree with Sarah and Tyler this poem is more creative. I think Concrete cat is a work of art, just not a poem.
Kimmy <3
Mr.W
I think "The Concrete Cat" is a poem and it is also a work of art. I think it is a poem because it tells you what the cat had for lunch (the mouse). I think it is art because it is in the shape of a cat and it also has the litterbox, the dish, and the upside down mouse.
I think that Concrete cat is both because it was shaped like a cat. I thought it was very creative that he made all of the words of the poem look just like a cat. I thought this poem was really cool.
I think that the poem is a work of art and a poem. I think this because it is shaped like a cat which is like art since it is in the shape of something intended. It is a poem because a concrete poem is a type of poem which the "Concrete Cat" is.
s
t
e
m
redredredredred
juicyjuicyjuicy
yummyyummyyummy
tasteytastey
greatgreat
verygood
eating
berry
strawberry!!
I agree with Hillary. "Concrete Cat" is both a poem and a work of art. It is concrete poetry because the words are literal and concrete. For example, the ear is made up of the word "ear" and the mouth is made up of the word "mouth." "Concrete Cat" is also considered art because a poem is a work of art and the words are arranged so that they form a picture.
I think the poem "The Concrete Cat" was cool because the author had made a good poem with the shape of a cat. I thought it was sort of weird how the word "mouse" was upside down, but then i figured that the cat had killed it :(. I really liked this poem, and it was very creative. :)
I think that the poem concrete cat is a work of art and a concrete poem. This poem is a concrete poem because it suggests it's shape and it's a work of art because it is in the shape of a cat.
ttyl
Claudia
I though that the concrete poem was a piece of art beacuse it has no poetrive language. It is more pretty than poemy.
I think the poem "The Concrete Cat" was cool because the author had made a good poem with the shape of a cat. I thought it was sort of weird how the word "mouse" was upside down, but then i figured that the cat had killed it :(. I really liked this poem, and it was very creative. :)
I think that the poem concrete cat is a work of art because it is shaped like a cat. I think that it is a work of art because it is not very poetic.
I think that all songs with lyrics are lyric poetry, but the songs without lyrics are not, i also thik that the songs that tell stories are not lyric poetry,
JOY TO THE WORLD
Post a Comment