Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Our Troubled Oceans

I went to hear Dr. Brian Lapointe, leading world authority on water quality, speak last week in the Waxlax, and left feeling quite depressed. Florida has no living reefs left. OK, there is the odd piece of living coral around, but for a reef to be considered "living", there has to be more than five percent that is actually alive. The main reason for this is water runoff into the ocean. This water gathers nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates on its way out to the ocean and then they are deposited on our reefs. Nutrient rich water may not seem like a bad thing-after all don't corals need nutrients to survive? Well...yes and no. These nutrients are not the same kind that are beneficial to corals. They cause algae and other harmful epiphytes to grow over and eventually kill the corals. In essence, not only are we heating up our environment with global warming, but we're fertilizing it too!
Is this a problem? Of course it is. Even if you choose to ignore the fact that fish are not able survive these recent changes, (Some scientists estimate that by 2040 commercial fishing will no longer exist) the fact remains that eventually the loss of reef habitat will hit Floridians right in the wallet. We live in a state where our economy is driven by tourism. Do you think anyone will come visit a dead reef with no fish for a scuba diving vacation? I have a hard time believing families will take week long vacations to beaches with water which has become too toxic to swim in.
You can help. Buy organic foods grown with no fertilizers or pesticides. When you go to the beach, take a bag with you and go for a walk. As you walk, fill the bag with plastic, cigarette butts, and other materials you find that could be harmful to marine life. The most powerful thing you can do to help is become educated and share the word.

15 comments:

Steph K said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steph K said...

Hi,

I feel very sad about our coral reefs. No more scuba diving or snorkeling down to our gorgeous reefs where the fish swim and the shells lay?! :( I hope that everyone knows to be on the lookout on how to help our oceans.

-RIP- Dory And Nemo!

-Steph

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I think that it is very sad that the coral reef and the fish are dying. My sister who lives in Virginia shops at Whole Foods and buys organic foods there. I would buy them with my dad, but they are too expensive. When I go to the beach I will try to convince my dad to bring a plastic bag to pick up any litter or garbage left by anyone else. Like I have said before, it is very sad that this marine life is dying, I have not gotton a chance to go scuba diving yet. It seems that I still won't get a chance for a long time. It will be great when my dad gets married to Alison because I beleive that she is used to buying organic foods from Whole Foods, so she will help us to do that! I hope that I can help to save the reef and fish!
Adios!!,
**!!Caroline!!**

Anonymous said...

Reefs are dying,
So people are crying.
The fish can't hide,
So they are taken in by high tide.
People come and go
Leaving trash, although
Not aware of what is happening deep in the ocean.
Women and men
Come to work together
To save the reefs from this human-like weather.
Help to save them!
-Caroline!

Mr. Watson said...

Nice one, Caroline! I'm totally impressed!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i really feel like thats a dicrase to Florida. Noramlly in movies you see how amazing Floridas Wildlife is. I feel that polution could defenetly go down if we try. So many people throw things out of there car windows like ciggerates , people dont think about the ocean. On the main land there are canals and the canals lead to the laggon, wich evetully lead to the ocean, so if we pollute these cannals were poluting our ocean.
Some people may think that this wont effect us , But it will. We get fish from the ocean and less fish meens less food. buissnes that sell fish will suffer from the consquences.
So try not to polute and think before you do!

--taylor--

Mr. Watson said...

Good point, Taylor. Many people don't realize that when they litter or dump motor oil, or some other pollutant in their yard, it eventually finds its way into our oceans. In fact, canals in Vero cause more pollution than any other source for our river and ocean!

Max M. said...

Hey Everyone,

I feel really bad about the coral reefs as well. I agree with Steph about not being able to see all of those nice coral reefs anymore. I hope if that this will stop and not become a global problem.

Max M.

Anonymous said...

I think that it is sad that there are no living reefs in florida. If you couldn't swim in the water then people probaly wouldn't come to the beach as much and you would not be able to surf. So i think people shouldn't use as much fertilizers.

Delaney said...

Hi,

I'm very sad to hear about all of the polluting in our ocean. Many people carelessly throw things out of their boat and car and don't think about the harm it is doing to the animals.

I feel bad for all the little fishies that are sufering because of the pollution. (I agree with Steph) R.I.P. Dory and Nemo.....

I saw a sign once that said
"Don't teach your trash to swim and had a picture ached of a piece of trash atatched to a fish. I thought it was really cool and maybe everyone will think about that next time they litter.

I hope everyone will try harder not to pollute the ocean.

*Delaney*

Anonymous said...

It is very sad that since the oceans are being polluted that we might be able to scuba dive and snorkel in the reefs anymore. I hope that we will be able to fix this problem, because I like snorkling and scuba diving.

Anonymous said...

I cnat believe whatis happening to the world. Well....florida but eventually it will spread to the world. Well hopefully it wont. I agree with Steph and Caroline that it is very sad that the fishes and coral reefs are dying. It is so horrible. I will definitely try to help as much as i can. If everybody helps as much as they can then we can actually make a difference.

Megan said...

Oh My Gosh!

I totally agree with everyone that we should save our envoriment! You aren't going to have these little critters, fishies, and the coral reefs forever! If you could just pick up a piece of trash!, that would make such a difference! Think about this:

You're on a boat...a piece of trash flys out of your hands. Luckily it is in reach. You really are to tired, worn out, and don't feel like moving. Well, think about it next time...just don't leave it in the water! I mean if you are too lazy just to pick up a piece of trash! Think if you were drowning and someone was too lazy just to pick you up?! That doesn't make sense, does it?!

Some people are too tired, lazy, don't feel like getting up, don't care! Those people really need to think really hard next time they leave a piece of trash on the ground! It doesn't take that much time...oh but Megan it takes time to think about it! Well then do it...you should be picking up trash atomatically...no one should have to tell you! If you are at your house and you let the trash just pile and pile up then it would eventually go to your ceiling! Think of the trash getting in the ocean, it would pile and pile and pile up just like your room. But, unlike your room you would be killing fishies, and coral reefs. That would make me personally feel bad if I killed something over being lazy.

-Think next time before you do... Megan

Megan said...

Hey- Here is a poem to describe how horrible sea and land is polluted...


There's trash on the land,
and even in the sea
but, when it comes to me
I want to save the land and the sea,
Some people don't care
And some do
I always wonder why
why the people let the fish die...


Please! Stop if you are polluting!


-Megan