A friend of mine sent a news story to me yesterday about an obese, eight year old child. I was shocked to see this child, and immediately asked myself, "What is his mother thinking?" "Doesn't she know she is hurting her child's health?" I immediately thought back to our survey from Monday. Several statements relate, but one stood out to me. It said, "Parents usually know what is best for their child." In this case, the parent clearly doesn't know what is in the child's best interest. Apparently, she lets her son eat whatever he wants whenever he wants. This might seem like a good idea to the kid, but it is hurting him in the long run. Some doctors estimate he won't live past 30 if he keeps on at this rate. Does he need a disciplinarian?
From there I began to consider Jody from The Red Pony, and his relationship with his father. I'm still not sure whether or not I think Jody's father is a good one, but I am sure that he's a disciplinarian. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on this news story and if you can find any similarities or differences with the characters in the news story and the characters in The Red Pony. Start thinking, and post those comments....BUT....if you use situations in your family or someone else's to illustrate a point, please use "someone I know" or "a friend." Your thoughts are important, but keep in mind this is a public forum. Now go to it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Dear Mr.watson,
That is so pathetic that the mother of the 8 year old is letting him eat whatever he wants. That 8- year old boy weighs more than me. That is crazy.
I think that Jodys father is not exactly mean, but he is just trying to make jody a better person and a kind- hearted person.
HEY,
I think that they should take that little boy away from his mom ASAP because the little boy is going to die. I weigh like a third of what he weighs and im three years older than him. I hope that mom puts him on a healthy diet soon.
*MOLLY*
I thought this story was very sad. You would think that the mom would care more about her kid. Maybe if she had realized that he was being made fun of, she would have helped him. You would also think that the kid would want to loose some weight, especially if he gets bullied. If I were this kid, I wouldn't want to be on the news and stuff.
I think that Jody's father could be nicer to Jody. It is nice to have your father's love, especially for a growing boy. I think that Jody's father was a disciplanarian, but, back then, weren't most fathers like that?
well i kinda agree with aksha about both things, i mean i don't know any 8 year old kid (or any kid) who weighs 2hundred somethin pounds.
ok bye,
mary kate
I think that an 8 year old weighs 218 pounds. That is more than double what I weigh. Why would the mother let her son get that big. And Akasha it isn't hard to way more than you.
Heyy,
In my opinion I think Jody's dad is the way he is because of how his childlife was. I think that maybe because of the way his parents were to him reflects the way he treats him.
The way this mother is treating her son is insane. There should be no reason why he steals and hides food because he wants it. This kid weighs the same if not MORE than half of the dads out there. I also think it is the same thing here that maybe his mother treats him like that because she doesn't want to deal with him when she says no or MAYBE she doesn't know better (which is sad..) I think that if she is going to be a parent she needs to find a way to change her sons diet because it is obvious that her son doesn't want to change so she needs to make that effort.
I think it is very sad that some people have to live like that.. I also agree with Mr. Watson that I'm not so sure on Jody's dad. Well, that's all i have to say....
XOXO
Delaney
I thought this story was very sad. You would think that the mom would care more about her kid. Maybe if she had realized that he was being made fun of, she would have helped him. You would also think that the kid would want to loose some weight, especially if he gets bullied. If I were this kid, I wouldn't want to be on the news and stuff. I don't think that they should take that kid away from his mom, but the mom should HAVE to put the boy on a diet to help him loose weight so he doesn't DIE!!
I think that Jody's father could be nicer to Jody. It is nice to have your father's love, especially for a growing boy. I think that Jody's father was a disciplanarian, but i thought that all fathers were disciplinarians back then.
ok bye,
mary kate
I heard about the 8 year old boy to. He weighs over 200 pounds and lives in England. At first I thought it was hilarious, but know its sad knowing how he must feel about himself.
I think Jody's family is the complete opposite from the English family. Jody's dad punishes mistakes and is very strict. The family of the obese boy was extremely liniant to not have set him on a diet by now. Jody might have to cope with a strict father, but I think he is just trying to bring Jody up by setting rules and teaching him respect, hardwork, confidence, and success.
Dear Mr. Watson,
I think that little boy should be taken away from his mom if he wants to live past 30. He ways so much more than I do. I hope VERY VERY soon his mom puts him on a healthier diet. VERY SOON.
I do not tink Jody's father is being mean I think he is trying to get Jody ready for the real world. He just wants to make him a better person for when he becomes an abult.
~Kimmy
Hey,
I do think that he needs a disciplinarian. I mean he is just wanting to eat what he when he wants. I guess it kind of is his mothers fault because she is allowing him to do such a thing. I think it is insane for the mother not to do something about. Instead she just goes around caring about nothing while her 8 year old son is feeding himself to death. In my opinion i honestly dont that his mother really cares about his health. I mean its either that or she just doesnt know what to do about so she just says sure whawt ever you can eat what ever you want. I think that either the mothers son needs to get some help or the mother her self needs to get some help.
I think that Jody's father isnt the nicest father in the world but he is a good father i think that it is a good thing to show your kid discepline and to tell them when it is ok to do stuff and when it isnt(unlike the the majorly obese childs mother did) I think that Jody's father does have a nice side but he just doesnt like showing it. WELL TATA FOR NOW! LOL
XOXOXO
Cristian
OMG,
that is nuts this kid is HUGE!!!! I think that the mother just wants to be on T.V. and is willing to put her kids life at stake. (I ALSO THINK THAT AKSHA IS VERY FUNNY SAYING THAT THE KID WEIGHS MORE THAN HER, BECASUE SHE IS VERY PETITE.) On the other hand i feel very bad or the kid, because he could die, be the time he is 30!!!! and like molly i think that they should take that kid away ASPA!!!!
GOOD BYE-DANA GRACE BUCK
HI
I think that that that kid should be taken away from his mom. Hes 8 and he weighs alot more then me. I aggre with Aksha that the dad is not mean he is just try to make his son a better person. That kid needs to loss some weight.
BYE
Hey,
I think that it is truly pathetic for a mother to have that happen to her own son. I understand if he has a major digestive system problem but still, that's just sad. I feel bad for the poor kid because he's probably always made fun of at school. I think the mom really needs to step up and become more disciplined. So yes, I do think that he needs a disciplinarian.
I think that Jody's dad isn't mean, he's just strict. He wants Jody to be safe around all of the dangers and know how to run the farm when he gets older. I think his dad is more of a coach, that teaches you how to do something and is strict when you don't do it right.
-anderson
Mr. W-
I totally agree with about everyone on this page...that the mother should be either taught how to displine her child or if she doesn't have that ability...then her son should be taken away!
I think that Jody's dad is mean...unlike Aksha...I totally disagree..I think that he just doesn't have a good relationship...he is only happy or can talk to his son when he is drunk...what kind of father does that to his son? That's all I'm saying...
Post a Comment