Ok…so I did put Sarah up to asking the question yesterday at FPL about them having thermal pollution, but I wanted to prove a point. There are two sides to every story. The speaker from FPL said that there was no thermal pollution at all from the Ft. Pierce nuclear plant. Most of you took that to be the gospel truth; that is you believed it and moved on. I wasn’t so sure about that, so I did some research on my own and found this copy of the minutes of a city council meeting from about six months ago. In this meeting, the mayor of Ft. Pierce states that, “…there is general scientific agreement that the reason manatees congregated in the port was due to thermal pollution produced by FPL.” The report then goes on to state, “the thermal pollution actually harm by putting manatees in a dangerous situation.” Now, don’t go bashing FPL just yet…
Many scientists believe that wind generated power from windmills has the least impact on the environment. FPL invested over $1 billion in new wind projects all over the country. They are a world leader in this department.
My point in sharing this with you is two fold; 1)to help you realize that every resource is not reliable, and you should use multiple resources to establish facts and 2)to make you aware of some environmental issues affecting our community.
Thursday, March 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment