Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Morrie Musings and Chainletters

Today in class we took a vocabulary test on Units 1-6. Jobs and journal responses for chapter 2 in The Red Pony are due on Friday.

I wanted to share with you the passage from Tuesdays with Morrie that I mentioned yesterday at the beginning of class.

"When Morrie was with you, he was really with you. He looked you straight in the eye, and he listened as if you were the only person in the world. How much better would people get along if their first encounter each day were like this-instead of a grumble from a waitress or a bus driver or a boss"
"'I believe in being fully present," Morrie said. "That means you should be with the person you're with. When I'm talking to you now, Mitch, I try to keep focused only on what is going on between us. I am not thinking of what's coming up this Friday. I am not thinking about doing another Koppel show, or about what medications I'm taking.""

Consider this as we have our next class discussion on The Red Pony.

Now to change gears...
Have you ever received a chain letter via email? I got one last night from a friend cautioning of the dangers of the ball crawls that you see on some playgrounds. The email was very convincing and told the name of the child, the name of the city, and even the name of the newspaper in which you could find the story. It went like this:
There was a boy who was playing in a ball crawl at McDonald's. When he got out, he was complaining of a sore bottom. He supposedly was pierced with a needle at the bottom of the ball crawl. The needle contained heroine, and he died of an overdose later that night.
It was a very convincing story with all the details, but I decided to investigage further. I found a couple of websites, breakthechain.org and snopes.com, which completely dispelled this myth. If you haven't recieved a chain email, you will. If you have, check these sites out and see if you can prove it's not true. I'd love for you to comment about any chain letters you have received and can prove untrue on these websites. Have fun!

9 comments:

Megan said...

Hey-

I found out in breakthechange.org their were many things that were trying to explain to people that chain letters aren't real. I read an articale on their and it said that email isn't good anymore...that it has problems. Those stories are either highly exaggerated, a myth, a story passed down (where people put their own twist on to things), or it simply is fictional.
I think that some chain letters are good to read, but others you should just try to avoid, like ones threatening you, or over exaggerating every sentence. I guess we will no long know if something is fictional or factutual.

-Megan

Mr. Watson said...

I have to disagree, Megan. I think that email is a great tool...just not for mass mailings. Also, I think that we can know what is factual and fictional, but we need to use more than one source and not just believe everything we read. We have to consider the source.

Megan said...

Mr. W-

I meant to say that the website said that email isn't the best resource...I absoluetly think it is!

-Megan

~*unnati*~ said...

I got a bunch of chain letters...but they were by mail...and they were like:
"If you send this to 4 of your friends withing the next 5 days then your name will be in the next book of Guiness Book of world Records fot participating in the longest chain letter (1847-2005)."
Then i found out that it wasn't fot the Guiness Book of World Records and it hadn't even been going on fo that long. It has just started and it was to promote the business of the post office and have more people buy the Guiness Book of World Records Book...but only...I fell for it....
I am really gullible
~*unnati*~

Tori said...

I think it is really crazy that people hear how bad chain letters are and then they just go ahead and start one. I have never gotten one before, and I hope not to in the future.
Tori

Aksha said...

Hey-

I have found out aout chainletters. I have got a chain letter saying, "if u don't forward this letter, than you will die." The picture had a guy holding a knife. I was really scared that night and I barely coud sleep.


I agree with Megan because chain letters are good to read, the chain letters you should avoid are threating ones that scare you or they can make you afraid of something.


PLEASE POST COMMENTS ON MY BLOG
amazingaksha.blogspot.com

~Aksha~

Aksha said...

I have had that same chain letter that unnati got, for the Guiness book of world records. Except mine said I had to mail it to 7 friends. I also fell for it, because I wanted everyone to now my name and I wanted to be famous, but then I found out that it was fake and my name was never their

Anonymous said...

I have gotten a chain letter that said this is an attempt to bet the world record send it to so many people in the next week. I never did but a few months later I got the same one again. Most chian letters I don't send anymore because they are mostly fake.

Megan said...

hey-

i got the same thing that unnati did...just recently...i always get these things that people send me...they aren't any fun to read though...except for those inspiring ones... the one about the cowboy and his son...

-Megan